Leila Cruikshank

Canada Pension Plan- Disability

Have you contributed to Canada Pension Plan (CPP)? If so, you might be eligible for CPP Disability benefits!   Let us tell you how.

The CPP-D plan is available to you if your illness falls into the category "severe and prolonged".  Oftentimes, if you qualify for an LTD package, your insurance carrier will ask you to apply to your CPP-D plan to see if you can also receive benefits from them.  Keep in mind, if you do qualify, your insurance amount will be reduced to reflect what CPP-D is providing so your overall amount will be the same.  If you are eligible for CPP-D it is mandated by insurance companies that you apply.  You can call Revenue Canada before applying to see what your monthly payout would be.

Am I eligible?

To be considered for CPP disability benefits you must be:

- Under 65.

- Earned and contributed a certain amount of money to CPP.

- Have a severe and prolonged disability as defined by the CPP legislation.

How do I apply?

A written application must be completed and is available at your near Service Canada Centre (1-800-277-9914) or at the official website at www.servicecanada.gc.ca.  The kit will tell you what information you need to provide to meet the eligibility requirements.   Also, if you are unable to apply on your own, a person that you authorize may apply on your behalf.

How much money do I need to have contributed towards CPP Disability?

In order to be considered for CPP disability benefits you have to have earned at least $4,400 per year to have made contributions to CPP.   You also have to have contributed for 4 of the last 6 years at or above the minimum level of earnings ($4,400).

Not sure if you have contributed enough years or money?

Often it means that you do not meet the eligibility requirements but you might still qualify if:

  • You delayed applying, meaning you met the requirements when you first became disabled but have not worked in the last 6 years, therefore have not contributed
  • Your CPP contributions stopped or were reduced because you stopped working to raise your children for the last 6 or more years
  • You have obtained enough CPP credits from a former spouse or common-law partner through credit splitting to make you eligible;
  • You were medically incapable of applying.

    Confused and not sure what to do? Please feel free to contact your CF social worker or Service Canada for help and more information!