Financial Resource Information - FAQs

Having to make a decision about finances is not always easy but we are here to help.  Here are a list of some commonly asked questions and answers; however, feel free to ask your Social Worker if you have more questions, she will be able to help you understand your options.

1) I’m having trouble managing my full-time job and my CF.  What do I do?

This is a very good question to ask.  If your health has changed you should talk to your doctor to make a plan of care.  If you have to take time off work or cut back on your hours, this might be hard on your budget.  

First, speak with your Human Resources Department (HR) or Employer to see if they can help or offer some alternatives to work.  This might mean working part-time for a short period, doing modified work, or going onto Short-Term Disability (STD).  During this time your health may improve and you may be able to return to work at your regular hours.

2) What if I can’t go back to work after my short-term benefits end?

Sometimes people can't return to work.  If you have spoken to your HR contact and are already on Short-Term Disability (STD), you may be able to get Long-Term Disability (LTD). This will last longer than short term disability but will depend on your work place and on your benefits plan.  

3)What if I can’t get disability benefits and need to be off work due to my health?

If you are unable to claim disability benefits, your next step is to see if you qualify for Employment Insurance (EI) benefits.  If so, you can apply for EI Sickness Benefits.  Please click here to be re-directed to the Service Canada site and find out more details about eligibility and Employment Insurance benefits.

4) What happens when my Employment Insurance Sickness Benefits run out and I still need to be off work?

If this happens, you will get a notice of last payment.  If you don't have a job to go back to, you may be able to receive regular EI benefits without a waiting period. Call the EI office to see if this applies in your case.  
Toll-Free: 1 800 206-7218    TTY: 1 800 529-3742

5) What if I am not eligible for Employment Insurance (EI)?

If you do not qualify for EI benefits and you need help right away, you may be able to receive funding from Ontario Works (OW) benefits.  For more details about Ontario Works, please click here to refer to the official website for more information.

6) What do I do if I can not take part in the Employment Assistance Activities required by Ontario Works due to health?  Is there anything else?

Fortunately there is another option!  The Ontario Disability Support Program (ODSP) might be able to help; this program is similar to OW but also considers your health status.  Part of the consideration process is completing a package full of forms, your doctor and social worker will help you complete these forms.  Please find more information on ODSP by clicking here to visit the official website, and here for information regarding health eligibility.

7) I’ve paid into Canada Pension Plan. Can I use this?

Sure you can!   If it is taken before the age of 65 it is called Canada Pension Plan Disability (CPPD).  To qualify you must:

- Have contributed to CPP during employment

- Have met the definition of disability as laid out in the CPP legislation.

For more information regarding Canada Pension Plan and eligibility, please click here.

8)  Can any of these resources help me cover the cost of my medications?

Sure!  Your Social Worker may be able to suggest a plan that can help.

- If you get Short Term Disability or Long Term Disability from your employer you may be eligible for coverage under your benefit plan.

- If you are getting EI (Sickness Benefits or Regular) there is unfortunately no added medication coverage.

- Ontario Works and Ontario Disability Support Program will provide you with a “Drug Card” that will allow you to get most of your drugs covered.  Those drugs that are not covered will require a special letter from your MD. You can speak with the Social Worker or Pharmacist for more information.

- CPP Disability does not have any added drug coverage.

If you are on Employment Insurance or Canada Pension Plan Disability and are not recieving any drug coverage, you can apply for added drug coverage through the Trillium Drug Insurance plan (TDP) if you find drugs have become too costly to afford.  Speak to your Doctor/Social Worker/Pharmacist if you have questions.